SJ'er with 1000+ posts

• SJ Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts
  • 46 topics
  • Local time: 09:40 PM
  • Nationality:American
  • Currently:Not Japan
So I got back at 4am today from one of the best vacations ever. My mind is filled with memories and my stomach with enough tecate to tranquilize a small elephant. 4 days 5 nights of some of the best beach going ever! I had about a 2 day notice that my friends were going and caught a late flight to San Diego where they met me and we crossed the boarder into Mexico. Basically it was about a 2 1/2 hour drive down from Tijuana. Tijuana is like another world in terms of poverty. Lots of it and lots of desperate people. Really put a damper in our mood when we got lost and were harassed by police.

However we got to the house and it was amazing. Our own private beach, a fire pit, grill, everything. Here's outside our back porch. Spectacular views.

One of the days we were there we all gathered around a taco stand to eat some authentic Mexican. I believe the entirety of my diet while there consisted of tacos with chicken, beef, pork, fish, and quesedillas. Also a whole lot of fruit. While sitting there, enjoying a great meal, I asked the man how to say "horse" because I forgot the word for it. We were thinking of renting horses and riding them on the beach or something. I had the best Spanish of the group so I had to do the translating. Keep in mind my Spanish is nowhere near perfect. After I asked him how to say horse and told him we wanted to ride them on the beach he went to his truck and sped off. We resumed our meal and he returned with another car containing another man. They told us to follow them and uneasily we did. We got to this ranch type deal (more of a shack with a field) and instantly 6 men jumped around and grabbed 4 horses. We bartered him down to 125 pesos a person or about $10 American a person. We took them for 4 hours in some of the most beautiful non-tourist plagued lands I have ever seen. We started up a random dirt road and ended up in foothills along the ocean. Absolutely breath-taking views. After that, trotted down to the beach where we opened up the throttle and I about died. My horse was very controllable and awesome, others...not so much. Definitely put a bit into perspective as most of them there hadn't seen many white people. Strolling past houses on horses with beers in hand got us a lot of looks.

We had many more encounters like this with locals. I got to go fishing with one of them and caught some pretty strange things. This type of vacation beats the old fly to some resort, get pampered, take some bogus tour of exploring the "culture" of the country, and just drinking. The locals seemed to appreciate us a bit more after they realized we weren't your typical group of tourists. Many a drinks were bought for us and we exchanged those gifts with more gifts. We did go to one real touristy area where a popular cruise ship stop was located. The vibe there was so much different than rural Mexico. Seemed like everyone just saw dollar signs in my eyes. All in all, a great adventure and the Mexican people in Baja are great.

That's me in the yellow.

Dylan pouring a shot...

I will add some more pictures as they are sent to me.
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
knowledge is the key then the world is yours
and take control of yourself of course

Jynxx

SJ'er with 3000+ posts

• SJ Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,579 posts
  • 31 topics
Excellent !
I got to get some Spanish into me. Went to Spain and I tried talking to them in my Rio de Janeiro Portuguese and that didn't go down well ... But the Algentinas seems to be ok with it. I wonder if everyone speaks the same Spanish everywere?
like, do people in Arizona speak the same as in Baja?
By the way, how come Mexican taste so much better than Spanish, I have no idea, but I do miss a decent Mexican here. wink
questions, questions so many questions ....
Gelfling knows nothing !

Creek Boy

SJ'er with 10000+ posts

• Hello
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,070 posts
  • 162 topics
  • Local time: 08:40 PM
nice, too bad the waves look flat and not very surfable...

how many shots of tequila did you have or can you remember having? biggrin
俺もしてえぇ!ダメじゃん...入らんけえぇ!

MitchPee

SJ'er with 1000+ posts

• SJ Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts
  • 46 topics
  • Nationality:American
I can remember about...7? Those were the ones at 10 in the morning.

The waves actually got really really good at some points. I'm not much of a surfer but if I was it would have been fun.
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
knowledge is the key then the world is yours
and take control of yourself of course

SantaCruz

SJ'er with 300+ posts

• SJ Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • 11 topics
  • Local time: 08:40 PM
  • Nationality:USA
Ensenada is nice. Growing up we rented a house there a few times for a long weekend. Can't beat the food smile