SJ'er with 10+ posts

• SJ Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • 3 topics
  • Local time: 11:37 AM
  • Nationality:Canadian
  • Currently:Japan
Does anyone know of any alpine racing clubs in the Nagano area? I'm looking for a club that offers a junior racing program for kids aged 6 and 9, similar to the Nancy Greene program in Canada.

Thanks!

Mr Wiggles

SJ'er with 5000+ posts

• SJ Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,023 posts
  • 56 topics
  • Nationality:________
Many Nagano-based clubs belong to schools or are resort-based but affiliated with local schools and have teacher involvement. Doesn't the school your kids go to have one?
Be Natural in Nature
Go Outside Enjoy Life

North Shore

SJ'er with 10+ posts

• SJ Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • 3 topics
Ha! don't know about that- didn't think to ask..I'll ask child # 1 to ask his teachers, #2 is still in K, so I'm sure they don't have a club. I just assumed that it would be resort-based, and schools would stay out of it.
What's the skiing-to-bureaucracy ratio for school clubs? I got the sense from another thread that touched on this area, that there's a whole lot of faffing around in meetings ( or is that just on the organization side for the parents/coaches?)
Essentially, I'm looking for an ongoing series of lessons, one day a weekend, for the whole season, so that I can get off the leash and rip it up for one day of the weekend - without having to go to the (huge?) expense of booking lessons separately each weekend...

Mr Wiggles

SJ'er with 5000+ posts

• SJ Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,023 posts
  • 56 topics
  • Nationality:________
Your plan sounds great! Maybe one of the ski schools at a resort will do something like that, possibly one of the ones close to Nagano City on a locals-only basis. It's the kind of thing you find out about from other parents rather than websites, because they don't like tourists knowing local kids are getting a cheaper deal.

A school-based ski club will be more intense than once a week! They'll enter lots of races too, where parents have to go and help out and generally hang around all day.
Be Natural in Nature
Go Outside Enjoy Life

North Shore

SJ'er with 10+ posts

• SJ Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • 3 topics
Thanks, Wiggles, I'll look into all of that!

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users