• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • 2 topics
  • Local time: 08:23 PM
  • Nationality:Japanese
  • Currently:Japan

View Postkokodoko, on 29 October 2014 - 03:03 PM, said:

View PostWizz, on 29 October 2014 - 02:42 PM, said:

Anyone coming to Japan and not visiting Mt Granview is absolutely and quite spectacularly missing the point.

:grandpa:

The title of this thread should be:

"Tsugaike Kogen vs Mt Granview"

Tsugaike Kogen
Tsugaike Kogen

DCx3

SJ'er with 10+ posts

• SJ Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • 0 topics

View PostTICesk, on 29 October 2014 - 12:36 AM, said:

2.) Which town do you like better and Why? Thank you Dcx3 for your thoughts! That's the kind of stuff I like to hear. Do you like one because it's quieter? because it feels more authentic japanese? are the people cooler? because there's more stuff to do around there when you're not shredding and want to chill?

1. Both Hakuba and Niseko have a lot of the young crowd. Hakuba might have more local Japanese young crowd as people from Osaka/Kansai area and Tokyo people go to Hakuba. Where as maybe there is more foreigner young crowd at Niseko.

2. If I am going to a place for 2 months I am probably going to spend some time in the nearest largest town or city. Nagano city has a population of just under 400,000 and Sapporo has a population just under 2 million people. Sapporo will have a greater variety of bars, restaurants and meeting places and things to do. But because Nagano and Hakuba is on the main island it will give you the option to pop over to places such as Tokyo, Osaka, Nagoya, Kyoto for a few days if you feel like exploring something new.
I don't usually go to a snow resort for authentic japanese experiences unless I go to a resort with an onsen like Zao or Nozawa. Its also hard to say if one place has cooler people or not because you can meet cool people wherever you, but you can meet some real idiots wherever you go. It is all luck in that regard.

TICesk

Newcomer!

• SJ Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • 1 topics
  • Local time: 04:23 AM
  • Nationality:USA
  • Currently:Not Japan
Once again, thanks guys for all the insights opinions on things, especially DCx3, ygrene, and TubbyBeaverinho. You guys are awesome.
haha don't any of you worry, I never had any intention of shredding park all day anywhere and I think anyone who would avoid a good pow day is clinically insane. It is, however, important that for a two month stretch I have something decent to be lapping on a regular basis when there's no freshy pow to slash, and I genuinely love popping cab 5's and back lip 270's on a slushy bluebird day almost as much. :) Budget is not really an issue as long as I don't go completely nuts, but that is certainly a good consideration!

When it comes to long term or semi long term travel I am usually a firm believer that the longer you stay in one place the better. At this point point I think I'm leaning towards Hakuba for the majority of the trip, but I've always wanted to visit Hokkaido so I figure two weeks in Niseko with some visits to Sapporo should do me just fine. Seems like a good idea to me, but does anyone have any thoughts on this plan? If I'm doing Feb through the end of march when do you think would be the best time to do Niseko? first or last? Hopefully this is the last time I have to bug you guys but thanks again for all the help!

sapporo

SJ'er with 200+ posts

• SJ Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • 7 topics
  • Nationality:british
First

Black Mountain

SJ'er with 1500+ posts

• SJ Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,785 posts
  • 95 topics
I think you can expect a mixed bag in Hakuba in February (especially towards the end of the month). There are always rain events at that time of year.
Make poverty history! Cheaper drugs NOW!

Biggen

SJ'er with 75+ posts

• SJ Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • 1 topics
  • Local time: 10:23 PM
  • Nationality:Japanese
  • Currently:Not Japan
I would start the stint in Takayama (Gifu) because it a good bet that it will rain during the last week of Feb and the first week of March in Hakuba. Nagano Prefecture has great snow other then just Hakuba. Use your skill of Japanese to negotiate deals. Don,t settle for the first price. That time of year the snow industry is very competitive. So It is smart to ask. Use Japanese sreach engines not english for researching for accommodation and travel requirements prior and while in Japan. Your English will come in handy while staying in Hakuba and Niseko. Both places are over run with English speaking foreigners.

Mr Wiggles

SJ'er with 5000+ posts

• SJ Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,023 posts
  • 56 topics
  • Nationality:________
Hokkaido has the longer winter so I would go there second. March in Niseko will also be cheaper than Feb and will be winding down with fewer pesky foreigners, I would have thought.

After mid winter in Hokkaido, you might be disappointed with early spring snow quality on Honshu, regardless of how big the terrain or parks are.
Be Natural in Nature
Go Outside Enjoy Life

NECK

SJ'er with 250+ posts

• SJ Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • 23 topics
  • Nationality:Necksville
If you are an advanced park rider then happo banks is a joke! Hakuba 47 park has more advanced lines but still nothing compared to what you are probably used to in Summit county Colorado. Niseko basically has nothing to offer in the way of a park. Hakuba would be way more suitable for what you are looking for.

Gunma Boarder

SJ'er with 250+ posts

• SJ Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • 29 topics
  • Nationality:American
I think Hakuba might be the best spot for you, but if you are looking for a change up, Kawaba in Gunma might be a good option. The proximity to Tokyo tends to attract a lot of good young park riders on the weekend. Kawaba has a pretty nice rail section every year. I am a pretty good rider and most of the rails intimidate me. It also has a nice wall section before the rail section. It also is a nice place on a powder day.

SJ Kawaba page.
http://snowjapan.com...a/kawaba/kawaba

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users