• SJ Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • 1 topics
  • Local time: 01:41 PM
  • Nationality:Japanese
  • Currently:Not Japan

View PostTubbyBeaverinho, on 06 November 2014 - 07:30 PM, said:

How clever are you? Racist stereotypes! Nice one John-san.
Dunno if u are aware of the pretend salaries that ALT's get in this country, but it's not enough to consider 180 shekels a night as being "a bargain". Perhaps being an all knowing Nagano-living, 100% Aussie who doesn't ever insult the ancestors of Adam Goodes and has lots of industry friends, pays better.....maybe I'll change jobs

If you do change jobs don,t became a pretend Enghish teacher, teaching your bad english to Japanese children.

Michkin

SJ'er with 10+ posts

• SJ Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • 1 topics
  • Local time: 12:41 AM
  • Nationality:Brazil

View PostBig Al, on 06 November 2014 - 04:24 AM, said:

1.) Can anyone recommend a good hotel suitable for us (Mum, Dad & 2 teenage kids) in Shinjuku. Desirable attributes include late checkout (or baggage hold facility) on our last day so we can enjoy another Tokyo day before an evening flight out of Narita.

Most hotels will hold your baggage. 2 teenagers will likely count as adults.

View PostBig Al, on 06 November 2014 - 04:24 AM, said:

2.) Is there an area better than Shinjuku in which to base ourselves? A priority is easy access to good shopping (really good sports store is a must - I want a cool Japanese cycle shirt and Junior wants a footy shirt), restaurants etc. and plan on going to the sumo basho so easy access to metro/rail system?

Alternatively, you could stay near Tokyo Station. Easy access to trains and airports. Ginza for shopping/eating. Short train hop to sumo stadium and Jimbocho for ski stuff. Well, once you hop the train, everything is close enough.
Marunouchi hotels (there are 2) and Ryumeikan are a bit cheaper, or you could stay in the Tokyo Station Hotel if you feel like spending a bit more.

TubbyBeaverinho

Beer, now there's a temporary solution!

• SJ Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,920 posts
  • 197 topics
  • Local time: 11:41 AM
  • Nationality:Scottish
  • Currently:Japan
Oops! Too late for that john-san.....I'm afraid there are whole generations of kids from Yokohama to Sapporo who are running round skimping on their hotel choices.....perhaps they need to be is censed and apologise issue?!
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is that good Chairmen do nothing

DiGriz

SJ'er with 500+ posts

• SJ Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,492 posts
  • 25 topics
  • Nationality:US
Hotel Villa Fontaine chain has inns in Jimbocho & Otemachi (actually the Jimbocho side of Otemachi) both in the ski/outdoor/sports shopping district, plenty of neat little eating venues. think you can book through either the hotels dot c or booking dot c websites. Places are clean, inexpensive businessman-type lodging. Couple of places in the Central chain around Kanda station (again, near the ski shopping) including New Central, same booking options or search in the Kanda district on google maps. SunRoute is always a decent choice, several choices from that chain in Tokyo. All depends on how much you want to spend and how much luxury you need.
AKA Slippery Jim:

Biggen

SJ'er with 75+ posts

• SJ Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • 1 topics

View PostTubbyBeaverinho, on 06 November 2014 - 09:45 PM, said:

Oops! Too late for that john-san.....I'm afraid there are whole generations of kids from Yokohama to Sapporo who are running round skimping on their hotel choices.....perhaps they need to be is censed and apologise issue?!

I assume the word "whole" means a single amount and the word generations is plural which means more then one. Can you used those two word in the same context? I thought my English was bad but I am Australian. What is your excuse and you teach the subject. Perhaps you need censoring and apologise issued then dismiss from trying to teach English.
$180 for 5 star accommodation in the middle of Tokyo to most people is a bargain. Compare to other Major Cities for 5 star accommodation you be looking at $450 plus.

Mr Wiggles

SJ'er with 5000+ posts

• SJ Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,023 posts
  • 56 topics
  • Nationality:________
I stayed at the Washington Hotel in Shinjuku for a couple of nights last year. It's a business hotel, but was full of Korean and Chinese tourists.
It's next door to the Park Hyatt, famous for the "Lost in Translation" movie. You can have a drink in the bar like Bill and Scarlett without being a guest.
The room was very small, but the window was basically filled with the Tokyo Municipal Building. Its a great building and the view of it was epic.
I ate breakfast in the non-buffet restaurant both times and it was pretty good. On a single tariff it was 12000 a night.
Be Natural in Nature
Go Outside Enjoy Life

DiGriz

SJ'er with 500+ posts

• SJ Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,492 posts
  • 25 topics
  • Nationality:US
$180 for 5 star accommodation in the middle of Tokyo would indeed be a bargain! And Metropolitan Marunouchi would certainly be a convenient place to stay, and if you're a member of one of their clubs you could get a twin room for about that price. But 5*? JR's Metropolitan chain? Fuhgeddabbodit!
AKA Slippery Jim:

Big Al

SJ'er with 250+ posts

• SJ Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • 6 topics
  • Local time: 12:41 PM
  • Nationality:Australian
Hey everyone, thanks for all the great advice :thumbsup:

Plenty of food for thought so I'll do some more net search based on the above.

We don't need Burj al Arab standards but don't want Backpackers......

Tubbs - the New Year Basho is being held at the Ryogoku Kokugikan from Jan 11th to Jan 25th.

We're going to bus it from Hakuba to Nagano then take the Shinkansen (another bucket list item to be ticked off) to Tokyo.

Is there a cheap way to cover the Shinkansen trip and 3 days of using Tokyo metro and a one way trip on the Narita express?

Again, thanks in advance.
Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty

TubbyBeaverinho

Beer, now there's a temporary solution!

• SJ Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,920 posts
  • 197 topics
  • Nationality:Scottish

View PostBiggen, on 06 November 2014 - 11:43 PM, said:

I assume the word "whole" means a single amount and the word generations is plural which means more then one. Can you used those two word in the same context? I thought my English was bad but I am Australian. What is your excuse and you teach the subject. Perhaps you need censoring and apologise issued then dismiss from trying to teach English.
$180 for 5 star accommodation in the middle of Tokyo to most people is a bargain. Compare to other Major Cities for 5 star accommodation you be looking at $450 plus.

so now its 5* accommodation, perhaps your pretend aussie passport didn't inform you that to claim a bargain for 5* you have to actually say that its 5*…..regardless, this poorly spoken english teacher STILL wouldn't consider it a bargain since he would never stay in 5* accommodation in the first place……..so, not to harp on, but its as I said in my original post……….it depends on your idea of a bargain. Sheesh, John-san just read what's written on the screen.

(for the record…."whole generations" means the entire populace of many generations. If I meant one generation, I'd say "A whole generation of")
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is that good Chairmen do nothing

Peetan

SJ'er with 250+ posts

• SJ Members
  • 272 posts
  • 8 topics
  • Nationality:British

View PostBiggen, on 06 November 2014 - 11:43 PM, said:

I assume the word "whole" means a single amount and the word generations is plural which means more then one. Can you used those two word in the same context? I thought my English was bad but I am Australian.

Yet your profile says you are Japanese, resident in Australia.

What is your excuse and you teach the subject. Perhaps you need censoring and apologise issued then dismiss from trying to teach English.

I'm pretty done with this actually, as the English ability jibes are super off topic- but for someone throwing some hefty rocks about, you sure do live in a pretty damn fragile glass house.

You had the opportunity to explain to Tubby that your suggestion was high-class at his first post, but instead you inserted a racist slur. It's only now that you mentioned that it's a 5-star hotel. However, just a quick view for just a TWIN room in the marunouchi Metropolitan shows that it's at least 284 Australian dollars for that time in January.

Oh, and it's 4-star, not 5-star. Get your facts straight.

I honestly have no idea if you are deliberately trolling or you actually have no idea, but you need to either stop, or GTFO. I'll keep this in simple English: if you carry on like this, I will ask the forum staff to ban you, as it's souring the tone of the forum.

pie-eater

I like pies. Abetastic!

• SJ Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,825 posts
  • 289 topics
He should be is censed and apologise issue.

:grandpa:
Pies.

pie-eater

I like pies. Abetastic!

• SJ Members
  • 12,825 posts
  • 289 topics
Does the Bill and Scarlett bar in that hotel have the laid back lounge music going on like in the documentary film? I think I'm allergic to that kind of thing.
Pies.

Mr Wiggles

SJ'er with 5000+ posts

• SJ Members
  • 6,023 posts
  • 56 topics
I can't say I noticed. Its up very high and has got a massive view window, and I might have been distracted by that. I'm not a hotel bar person at all, but that one was an experience. It would be a good place to take your missus on an anniversary. If you don't have three kids, that is.

It's hotel bar prices of course, but I wasn't paying. :)
Be Natural in Nature
Go Outside Enjoy Life

pie-eater

I like pies. Abetastic!

• SJ Members
  • 12,825 posts
  • 289 topics
Things always taste better when someone else is paying.

;)
Pies.

SKI

SJ'er with 2000+ posts

• SJ Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,396 posts
  • 80 topics
I must admit I hate paying for hotels.... period.

Even expensive places aren't as good as home - most of them far inferior - and they take so much cash off you.
I feel they almost never ever offer value for money. Or what I think is what is value for money --- and if I'm paying, that's what counts!
A necessary (at times) evil for me.
A sport, a thing, a yogurt

Mr Wiggles

SJ'er with 5000+ posts

• SJ Members
  • 6,023 posts
  • 56 topics
Paying for accommodation cranks up a whole new level when you have kids.

Sometimes its the crappy places that charge for them and the quite nice ones that don't. Last year we went with our two youngest (5 and 1 at the time) to the ANA hotel by Niigata Station. It was about 14,000 room charge for b and b. The breakfast was a big hotel buffet with the guy there making omelettes to order. The room was very big. It was actually free because we had ANA points off a credit card we had to use or lose.

Most pensions would have much smaller rooms and charge for a 5 year old. There won't be that many where you can stay b n b for 14,000 with two small kids. The breakfast will also be much smaller and won't be as good.
Be Natural in Nature
Go Outside Enjoy Life

SKI

SJ'er with 2000+ posts

• SJ Members
  • 3,396 posts
  • 80 topics
Now that does sound like value for money.

Must admit, it's the breakfast that I like most about staying somewhere. Scrimp on that and I'm not a happy camper. Nice big hotel full on buffet though and I like that.
A sport, a thing, a yogurt

Big Al

SJ'er with 250+ posts

• SJ Members
  • 258 posts
  • 6 topics
  • Local time: 12:41 PM
  • Nationality:Australian

View PostSKI, on 07 November 2014 - 12:50 PM, said:

I must admit I hate paying for hotels.... period.

Even expensive places aren't as good as home - most of them far inferior - and they take so much cash off you.
I feel they almost never ever offer value for money. Or what I think is what is value for money --- and if I'm paying, that's what counts!
A necessary (at times) evil for me.

Spoken like a true McSki !! :lol: :lol: :lol: lmfao
Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty

ippy

SJ'er with 500+ posts

• SJ Members
  • 2,758 posts
  • 71 topics
  • Nationality:british
As a fellow scotsman, can i just confirm the stereotype. When he said "decent hotel?" my first thought (and only thought) was "toyoko inn?"
m00m

Biggen

SJ'er with 75+ posts

• SJ Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • 1 topics

Peetan it was DiGriz who mention twin room try looking at best available price

Correct, the Metro chain is considered 4 star but this Metro is house in the Sepia Tower. The Sepia tower is built using old and new Japanese building methods. Using the old counterweight system used in Japan's centuries old Pagoda and the latest concrete building methods of that time. If it was built to international standards of the same period, it would have collapse on 3/11. That why this particular Hotel is worth a extra star. I was in the Sepia Tower on the 34th food when the .9 quake hit at 2.45pm on the 3/11. If you do not think staying in a earthquake proof building so that your family are safe in a earthquake prone City is not worth a extra star then you are entitled to your opinion be it a bad opinion at that.

You must be new to this forum because most users of this forum known the history between Tubby, Pie and myself.

Tubby voiced his opinion at my comment. My comment contain advice on where to stay at for a bargain price. Tubby comment on my advise

So who is doing the so call trolling.

Do you want ban Tubby as well.

Anyway I think Tubby can bat for himself. You just hold up your end.

As for my nationality I don,t think anyone cares. I know I don,t

Your welcome to think that pointing out a well known trait is considered discriminative. The majority of Scottish people are very proud of being frugal. Judging by Tubby reply, it is Tubby who is offended by this fact. If I apologise to Tubby I would be offering the Majority of Scottish people. So I suggest, build a bridge and both get over it.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users