←  Japan Avalanche & Backcountry

SnowJapanForums

»

What's in your back pack

panhead_pete's Photo panhead_pete 13 Jan 2013

Gearing up for this trip and having seen a pic yesterday of a guy in trouble just wondering what everyone is carrying in their BC back packs?

Method's Photo Method 13 Jan 2013

On a backcountry day,

Splitboard, skins, poles obviously! If it's possibly going to be icy (e.g. Yotei) then ski crampons.

Avy gear i.e. brain, beacon, probe and shovel.

Emergency bivvy, basically a small silver foil type sheet bag (folds up to the size of an iPad mini)

Small first aid kit, incl thumb/finger splints.

Numerous length voile ski straps

Lightweight down jacket

Balaclava

Headlamp

Board / ski tool + leatherman/ Swiss army knife

Water / food

At the beginning of the season I put 3 short sections of gaffer/duct tape on each ski pole and shovel handle.

Mamabear's Photo Mamabear 13 Jan 2013

View PostMethod, on 13 January 2013 - 03:09 PM, said:

At the beginning of the season I put 3 short sections of gaffer/duct tape on each ski pole and shovel handle.
can you explain what that's about Method?

Method's Photo Method 13 Jan 2013

Duct tape has a million uses in the backcountry... Basically temporary repair on any gear e.g. Torn seam on a jacket or glove

Rather than carry around a whole roll, I just roll a few 30-40 cm lengths around my ski pole and shovel handle.

Mamabear's Photo Mamabear 14 Jan 2013

Ahhh.. I get it.
I didn't realize it was layered up, therefore similar to carrying a roll of duct tape without the hassle of the entire roll.
I was thinking it was just a piece of tape on the poles...and wondering why... :lol:

No issues with lost stickyness in the cold/wet?

Method's Photo Method 15 Jan 2013

View PostMamabear, on 14 January 2013 - 12:06 AM, said:

Ahhh.. I get it.
I didn't realize it was layered up, therefore similar to carrying a roll of duct tape without the hassle of the entire roll.
I was thinking it was just a piece of tape on the poles...and wondering why... :lol:

No issues with lost stickyness in the cold/wet?

Ah yeah somewhere like Japan, where the snow gets into every single crack and pocket, yes.

I replace the strips every now and then as they get "caked" on to your pole after a while and are useless.

panhead_pete's Photo panhead_pete 15 Jan 2013

Thanks Method, if its OK will take your list and add to it as others contribute.

Splitboard, skins, poles obviously! If it's possibly going to be icy (e.g. Yotei) then ski crampons.

Avy gear i.e. brain, beacon, probe and shovel.

Emergency bivvy, basically a small silver foil type sheet bag (folds up to the size of an iPad mini)

Small first aid kit, incl thumb/finger splints.

Numerous length voile ski straps

Lightweight down jacket

Balaclava

Headlamp

Board / ski tool + leatherman/ Swiss army knife

Water / food

Whsitle

Length of flat rope

zelzel's Photo zelzel 20 Jan 2013

I picked up a el-cheapo down jacket from G2 (the Uniclo poor-cousin brand store) and luckily had a small dry bag that fits it well. Yes, it's pretty important to keep your down jacket very dry for when you need it. :sjcool:

I also pack a GPS or three (in the form of smartphones lately) with battery backup

and some guarana / green tea caffeine pills for emergency energy :happyshades:

panhead_pete's Photo panhead_pete 27 Jan 2013

Thanks guys. Placed my order at Backcountry yesterday. All going to plan it will be meeting me at my Myoko digs the day I arrive.

NECK's Photo NECK 28 Feb 2013

Wasabi Kakipi and a Snickers bar :p .

Gonna start putting some lenghs of duct tape around my shovel handle too. Thanks Method!

sapporo's Photo sapporo 23 Oct 2014

Going to buy a shovel and probe at the end of the month (Shugakuso sale), wondering what everyone carries and any advice (other than a 300cm probe cos I live Hokkaido)??

snowjunky's Photo snowjunky 23 Oct 2014

Where are you off to this season Pete?

TubbyBeaverinho's Photo TubbyBeaverinho 24 Oct 2014

Pete hasn't been on here in a LOOOOOOOOONG time

muikabochi's Photo muikabochi 24 Oct 2014

Camera and lenses, and mini-muikabochi.

Chriselle's Photo Chriselle 24 Oct 2014

and cheese ...of course

sapporo's Photo sapporo 25 Oct 2014

View Postsapporo, on 23 October 2014 - 07:43 PM, said:

Going to buy a shovel and probe at the end of the month (Shugakuso sale), wondering what everyone carries and any advice (other than a 300cm probe cos I live Hokkaido)??

Meaning in the shovel and probe department, what do u carry?
Only a mad man or woman would forget to load his/her pockets with cheese before venturing onto the mountains!!

panhead_pete's Photo panhead_pete 26 Oct 2014

View Postsnowjunky, on 23 October 2014 - 08:29 PM, said:

Where are you off to this season Pete?

Will be doing a lot of riding across Honshu this season - moving over in November for the season, maybe longer .

View PostTubbyBeaverinho, on 24 October 2014 - 09:04 AM, said:

Pete hasn't been on here in a LOOOOOOOOONG time

Hope all is well TB and SnowJunky.

snowjunky's Photo snowjunky 26 Oct 2014

Yep, life is great in the sunshine state Pete as you well know.

Though starting to feel the winter stoke vibes through the forum :wave: